This page provides information on

  • Import and export licensing requirements
  • Quota allocation for bulk HFC importers and producers
  • Quota authorisation for importers of HFC-precharged equipment
  • Reporting obligations on fluorinated gases.

Import and export licensing requirements

Prior to carrying out any activities that fall under Regulation (EU) 517/2014 (the ‘F-gas Regulation’) the undertaking shall register in the F-gas Portal & HFC licensing system.

This is mandatory for companies to receive a quota, for importers of equipment containing HFCs, and for all entities supplying or receiving exempted gases such as those hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) imported for destruction, for use as feedstock, directly exported in bulk, as well as for use in military equipment, in semiconductor manufacture or for metered dose inhalers (MDIs).

All companies that must report on F-gas-related activities according to Art. 19 of the F-gas Regulation should similarly register in the F-gas Portal & HFC Licensing System in order to enable access to the reporting forms.

As regards activities related to imports and exports of fluorinated gases and imports of equipment pre-charged with HFCs, this registration constitutes an import or export license. Note that for imports and exports of HFCs in bulk, such a license is also required under the Montreal Protocol for substances that deplete the ozone layer.

guidance on how to register and obtain an import or export licenseSearch for available translations of the preceding link is available.

It is important to note that having such a license is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for being allowed to import into and export from the EU. Other conditions also apply, notably when imported goods are being placed on the EU market. These conditions include labelling requirements (Art. 12 of the F-gas Regulation) and requirements related to the HFC quota system (Art. 14 and 15 of the F-gas Regulation).

Fore more information, click here: